The river Cauvery which divides the two states of Karnataka and Tamilnadu runs through a very richly forested region down stream of Shivana Samudra for another 60 kms down to Hogenekal. The last 45 kms (approx) towards Hogenekal, it divides the two states, the left bank belongs to TN and the right to Karnataka (downstream direction). While the Karnataka part is declared as Sanctuary (Cauvery Wild Life Sanctuary & MM Hills Wildlife Sanctuary), the TN side of it is designated as a Reserve, which means a lot lesser protection compared to what a Sanctuary status brings.
KANS has actively helped the TN Forest Dept to put forth to the government the dire need to declare TN side as Sanctuary as well, and we are happy to say that it has gained momentum and we have all the reason to believe it would happen in the near future. In the mean time it is of utmost importance that Data pertaining to the region should be collected and collated in order to put together a Report that would eventually lead to creation of an effective Management Plan by the TNFD for the Riverine region.
KANS has noticed and recorded the presence of several rare and near threatened species along the river such as Otters, Crocodiles, Lesser Fishing Eagle, Four Horned Antelope and to our surprise in recent time Honey Badger (also called Ratel) etc. We now need to take this into the next logical step of establishing:
- Factors that help them survive and
- Factors that might be threatening their existence.
We firmly believe that a thorough study of the region has never been carried out before. We now need to take it up and chart the area from downstream of Kestur and up to Hogenekal border, a total of around 40 kms.
ACTIVITIES IN PROGRESS
- Educate and guide and compensate the two FD Guards who will form a part of the conservation team.
- Regular visits by KANS members and volunteers at least once a month for data collection and to carry out vigilance and local liaison.
- Determine the kind of trees that need to be planted in order to have a continuous canopy especially for the grizzled giant squirrels.
This is an ongoing project. If you would like to participate, please get in touch with Prasanna @ kvp.melagiri at gmail dot com